Mineral Matters in Black and White is a selection of landscapes that enjoys and traces the mineral surfaces in the environment. Whether they be man-made or natural, there is a powerful presence from this matter that translates beautifully in black and white. They are Natures architecture.
ManButur on Black and White and Colour
I am used to seeing colour. When I am making works in black and white I minimise potential distractions. What may work in a colour composition can be weakening for a black and white composition. Not all colour photography will translate well to black and white. This is a little subjective, because it is about the mood and feeling of the image.
Perhaps it is similar to a beautiful architectual photograph. It may not work so well with rubbish on the street and many people walking around. Because the subject we wish to to connect with visually is a structure that inhabits a different scale. The space and how it plays with the elements is usually what draws the viewer in. So minimising distractions can help to achieve that.
Focusing on Certain Compositional Elements
The black and white tone or it may be referred to as monochrome is one photography technique I really love to do. And it has been a long time since I began black and white photography. During the time that I have explored black and white I realised this aesthetic actually needs much more attention and deeper study compared to color. In colour photography, especially landscapes and Nature photography, the color of Nature already provides a significant visual impact. In addition to the composition and scenery itself.
However, in black and white I am forced to go out of my comfort zone. When I am thinking in black and white, I am not just learning and seeing my surroundings like I normally do, I think I have to observe even more acutely. I have to observe things from a different perspective. It also makes me connect more to my senses in relation to my environment. Understanding the mood that I feel and wish to recreate in the image. Identifying stronger compositions by discerning if there is lines, patterns, or textures that will strengthen the composition.
Stepping out of my comfort zone is another journey in my life as a photographer. Creating images in black and white is one of my passions in developing the art in my photography.ManButur Suantara
Landscape photography shows the spaces within the world, sometimes vast and unending, but other times microscopic. Landscape photographs typically capture the presence of nature but can also focus on man-made features or disturbances of landscapes.
Nature Photography shows natural elements This includes landscapes, wildlife and plants as well as close ups of natural scenes and textures. It has a stronger emphasis on the aesthetic qualities of the image. Nature Photography are published in Sciencific travel and cultural publications like National Geographic.
You may also enjoy…
- World Without Sound, an AnthologyAn anthology of reflections through art on a World Without Sound. In the true spirit of inclusivity.
- An Insightful Contradiction of Art and Law.. Made KaekThe enchanting dimensionality in the art and life of Made Kaek.
- Kala and the Guardians, a Timely ReflectionReflecting on the nature of Time. Our relationship to the Earth and Spirit through a conceptual journey. A collaborative exhibition with the works of Dewi Dian, ManButur Suantara, Nyoman Handi and Kaprus Jaya.
- Magic and Reason, Pulling on the Rope of ImaginationLooking into the mind of artist Shuai Feng. In a quest for Truth through the realm of imagination.
- ‘Red Chair and the White Room’, a CollaborationA Sawidji Collaboration: Red Chair and the White Room. A collaborative presentation that looks upon current social and cultural changes through a symbolic portrait narrative.